Madly in love - Madeleine by Victory Patterns Review
June 24, 2016
Beautiful Betty - Sew Over It Betty Dress Review
June 24, 2016
The Betty was the first of now many Sew Over It patterns I have now made. I absolutely love their modernised versions of timeless vintage styles. I find the Betty in particular so flattering and fun to wear. The full circle skirt has a lot of volume and movement. It's a wardrobe staple.
Lets take a brief interlude to talk about this fabric for a minute. It's a cotton voile from Art Gallery Fabrics, designed by Bari J Ackerman. It's gorgeous.
I love voile. Its sort of a cross between rayon and poplin. It has the lightness of rayon and a bit of the drape, but a tad more structure. The only caveat is that i do feel it's a bit see through. Indoors maybe not so bad, but as soon as I step outside, I suddenly feel like I've got an Emperor's New Clothes situation on my hands. I'm strolling around thinking everyone is admiring my lovely handmade dress but I'm really a walking peep show....so I wear a half slip underneath.
OK back to the pattern!
It is a piece of cake to sew up. Just throw some darts into the bodice, add the facing, attach the skirt, and pop a zipper in the back. Boom. Thats it.
The directions are clear as a bell. The only minor glitch i ran into with this pattern was of course, the sizing. Isn't that always the case? I wanted to err on the side of caution because I was unfamiliar with the company's sizing. Their sizing goes up in 2" increments in the waist, meaning the size 8 is for 26" waist and the size 10 is for a 28" waist. The finished garment measurements are 27" and 29" respectively. I have some....lets say... "fluctuating" number in between the 8 and the 10. Long story short, I cut out the size 10.
I pinned it on at a few different points and thought the fit looked good so continued on a put the zipper in. It wasn't until this stage that when tried it on again, it had less of the nipped in elegant look I was going for and more of a baggy frumpy thing happening. I didn't want to disassemble the whole thing and evenly remove the extra width so i just sliced some off from either side of the back and sewed the zipper back in. This made the waist look much better and I'm happy with the overall result (90%).
I am absolutely going to make this again, only the smaller size. I already have the perfect fabric picked out, yet another Art Gallery Voile.
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!