Madly in love - Madeleine by Victory Patterns Review
June 24, 2016
Victory Patterns - Nicola Dress
August 19, 2016
Upon my obsessive combing of the internet for stylish, exciting patterns, I have come to the conclusion that Victory Patterns may be at the top of the list. Their designs seem to have a little extra something that makes them look like a pricey designer garment when the project is done. I can see myself looking good and feeling great in all of their designs and plan to try more in the future.
My latest Victory Pattern project was the Nicola. A sort of faux wrap dress with matching tulip sleeves and skirt. The design caught my eye a long time ago. It struck me as chic, elegant and flirty.
I used Anna Maria Horner's pretty potent rayon "Eucalyptus" in Ruby. I picked up three yards of this at Hart's Fabrics in Santa Cruz, CA while I was there visiting my friend. They are a great shop that loves their rayons and stock a nice selection.
I made a massive newbie mistake while cutting this. I didn't even consider the direction of the fabric until it was all cut and I realised that yeah...it was upside down. I have done an ok job at convincing myself that it also works the way I cut it.
The actual sewing up process was nothing too emotionally tasking. There are a lot of darts as well as a lining. I always find linings aggravating, especially when working with slippery fabrics. This case was no exception.
Now I will confess my biggest mistake of the project. The tulip sleeves and skirt are such a lovely feature that I wanted to really accentuate them. So, i opted to finish them with a bias tape instead of the way the pattern suggested. While I think this worked reasonably well in the skirt portion. I really regret doing this on the sleeves. Although I really like the way the color contrasts, I think the tape added just enough extra bulk in the sleeves cap that they do not fall as elegantly as they might have had allowed the rayon to drape.
Another pointer I would advise anyone making a Victory Pattern is that they are very true to the measurements given. I would say if you are waffling between sizes, to size up, especially if it is fitted through the waist. While this pattern allows for some adjustment in the placing of the buttons, there is very little ease. I foolishly made this in a size 4, fearing it would be too large otherwise, despite my measurements being closer to the 6.
My finished Nicola was an overall success. I rarely say this, but I actually feel like it is too dressy for everyday wear, again I think because of the sleeves. I am saving it for perhaps a wedding or a dressy garden party. If I were to make it again, I would follow the directions to a T.
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!